In deals that brought in Juan Soto and Alex Verdugo, the Yankees lost seven pitchers, including six potential starters.
Michael King, who might have been the No. 2, is gone, as are fringe starters such as Randy Vásquez and Jhony Brito.
There are significant injury risks in their rotation — notably with Carlos Rodón and Nestor Cortes — and maybe the largest issue facing the 2024 Yankees concerns the reinforcements.
For his part, Aaron Boone said the Yankees have done “a pretty good job” of filling in the depth that has been lost and called out “hopefully our next wave of Vásquezes and Britos.”
“Whether that’s [Will] Warren, [Chase] Hampton, [Clayton] Beeter, Luis Gil returning from injury this year,” the Yankees manager said on “The Show with Joel Sherman and Jon Heyman” podcast Wednesday. “We’re really excited about the signing of Cody Poteet, we think there’s a lot potentially in there from a depth standpoint. And obviously bringing Luke Weaver back to be kind of that sixth starter/long man depending on what’s needed.
“I do feel like we’ve replenished some of that depth, that six through 11 if you will.”
Of the group of six that Boone named, only Weaver has a substantial major league appearance.
The 30-year-old righty has bounced around for eight seasons and pitched to a lifetime 5.14 ERA. Weaver, a former first-round pick, was claimed off waivers by the Yankees in September and was solid in three starts, which helped lead to a one-year pact for $2 million guaranteed and much more available in bonuses.
Poteet also was signed to a major league deal.
Now 29, the righty pitched in 19 games (nine starts) with the Marlins in 2021-22 before undergoing Tommy John surgery.
He made it back for one minor league game in September 2023.
Gil, a 25-year-old righty, was excellent depth upon debuting for the Yankees in 2021 but required Tommy John surgery in May 2022.
He appeared in two minor league games last September.
Warren, Beeter and Hampton are untested, all prospects ranked within the organization’s top 14 prospects by MLB Pipeline.
Beeter, who pitched to a 3.62 ERA in 27 games between Double-A Somerset and Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre last season, likely will receive the first chance among the trio because he is already on the 40-man roster.
Warren, though, is coming off the best season (3.35 ERA in Double- and Triple-A with 149 strikeouts in 129 innings) of the group while Hampton, the top prospect, is a step behind, maxing out at Somerset last year.
Jose Trevino has been hitting off live velocity for “probably about a month now,” Boone said, after the catcher required season-ending wrist surgery in July.
“He’s ready to go,” Boone said. “He’s in a good spot.”
Boone also praised Austin Wells, who has been in Tampa for much of the offseason, and Ben Rortvedt, calling both catchers big-leaguers, though carrying three catchers on the major league roster would be a surprise.
“We’ll see how it shakes out,” Boone said.
Infielder Jeter Downs — who was named for Derek Jeter — and outfielder Oscar González will remain Yankees.
Both cleared waivers and were outrighted to Triple-A.
Outfielder Bubba Thompson was claimed off waivers by the Twins.