Air Force fired coach Joe Scott on Friday after previously suspending him indefinitely for an investigation into how he treated the cadet-athletes.
“This is a different day, and now is the right time for a new voice and a new approach to drive the culture and success of the men’s basketball program, aligned with the Air Force Academy’s mission of forging leaders of character developed to lead in our Air Force and Space Force,” Air Force athletic director Nathan Pine said in a statement released by the school Friday night.
“We thank Coach Scott for his 10 years of service to the Academy and wish him and his family well.”
Air Force announced last month that the 60-year-old Scott had been suspended while the school conducted the investigation, while not providing specific details or allegations.
Assistant coach Jon Jordan replaced him.
“In response to today’s action, I will fully cooperate with the investigation and look forward to a proper resolution of this matter,” Scott said in a statement at the time.
“I will not have any further comment until the matter is resolved.”
Air Force labeled his split as a “mutual parting of ways” and ends Scott’s second run with the school.
He guided the Falcons from 2000-04 and and led the school to the NCAA Tournament during that 2003-04 season before leaving for Princeton.
Scott returned for the 2020-21 season and could not replicate his earlier success, posting a 46-120 mark over the past five-plus seasons.
This year’s team went 3-14 with him leading the squad and is 0-9 since his suspension, and the Falcons are just one of three Division I teams without a senior on their roster, according to The Athletic.
Scott went 97-183 with Air Force and is 281-360 in his career.
“I thank Nate Pine for his leadership,” Scott said in the release. The Air Force Academy gave me my first head coaching opportunity and I am forever grateful. We will always be fans of Air Force Basketball.”


