Julius Randle did everything he could to make it back to the Knicks this season without undergoing surgery, but the All-Star power forward was unable to avoid that season-ending option.

Randle, who hasn’t played since dislocating his right shoulder on Jan. 27, will undergo surgery and will be reevaluated in five months, the Knicks announced before Thursday’s game against the Kings.

Randle had been resumed workouts last month but he was waiting weeks for medical clearance to resume contact that never came.

Randle said on Feb. 21 that he’s feeling “better and stronger” with the aim of returning before the season ends.

But within those same comments, the three-time All-Star acknowledged that surgery on his non-shooting shoulder remained a possibility.

“We’ll see. There’s still necessary steps. It’s a process to everything. I have to weigh out everything ultimately and decide from there,” Randle said. “But right now I’m just focused on trying to avoid [surgery], obviously, and get back on the court as soon as I can.”

OG Anunoby also has mostly been sidelined since Jan. 27 with a right elbow injury that required surgery.

The two-way wing returned for three games in mid-March, but he was slated to miss his ninth in a row Thursday against Sacramento.

Mitchell Robinson (ankle) and Josh Hart (wrist) are listed as questionable for the Knicks, who began the day in the No. 5 playoff position in the Eastern Conference, a half-game behind the Magic.

Share.
2024 © Network Today. All Rights Reserved.