Karmelo Anthony’s ex-girlfriend claimed that he stalked her and sent her an unsettling text message just hours before he fatally stabbed fellow high school student Austin Metcalf.
The ex-girlfriend’s claims were revealed during a hearing regarding Anthony’s request for a new trial on Thursday, August 20.
Collin County Assistant District Attorney Bill Wirskye said in Texas court that the ex-girlfriend claimed to have told a school administrator on April 2, 2025, that Anthony, 19, was stalking her and that he refused to let her break up with him, according to WFAA.
Anthony allegedly sent her a text that same morning, which read, “Im lowk [low-key] on the verge.” The message reportedly included a photo of a knife, according to FOX 4.
“Imma stab someone and lick the blood off the blade,” Anthony allegedly wrote in another message to his ex-girlfriend, per WFAA. However, it’s not clear exactly when he sent that message to his ex.
Less than two hours after the ex-girlfriend reported Anthony to the assistant principal, he fatally stabbed Metcalf, 17, in the chest during a high school track meet in Frisco, Texas.
Anthony was arrested and admitted to stabbing Metcalf, though he insisted that the act was in self-defense after Metcalf allegedly shoved him in a tent.
Anthony was convicted of murder in June and sentenced to 35 years in prison. Following his sentencing, Anthony’s attorney filed a request for a new trial.
During Thursday’s hearing, Wirskye said that the evidence concerning Anthony’s ex-girlfriend had been withheld under an informal agreement made between prosecutors and trial attorneys, according to WFAA.
The legal teams previously agreed to exclude any inflammatory character evidence about Anthony and Metcalf, and they instead focused the trial on the stabbing itself.
Prosecutors said that they found material that allegedly revealed Anthony had an interest in guns, knives and fighting. Meanwhile, the defense claimed to have gathered evidence that Metcalf had a history of fighting as well and an offense report that involved antisemitic and racist graffiti.
Anthony’s trial attorney, Mike Howard, testified that the graffiti included “KKK,” “Kill all Black people,” the N-word and “Heil Hitler,” according to KERA.
Anthony has since retained new lawyers, who argue that the off-the-record agreement violated their client’s constitutional rights. They also saidAnthony didn’t testify during the first trial due to a dispute over the agreement.
Retired Kaufman County Judge Michael Chitty, who is now overseeing the case, has not yet determined whether Anthony will be granted a new trial. Chitty must decide if he will grant the request by Monday, August 24, according to KERA.


