Expect to see much more of MMA on Netflix in the near future.
Nakisa Bidarian, co-owner of MVP MMA with Jake Paul, told The Post on Wednesday that Netflix is “blown away” by the event, from the action to the pace and energy in the building.
“[Netflix] was pleasantly surprised to see the viewership started very high, very early on. In boxing, you see a massive ramp ahead of the main event,” Bidarian added.
When asked whether MVP MMA and Netflix will continue working together, Bidarian replied, “Absolutely.”
Keeping Netflix happy is critical, as they boast 325 million paid monthly subscribers worldwide.
“While 1,000 percent Netflix is an unbelievable platform, it’s also about product-market fit,” Bidarian said. “It’s also about storytelling and making something resonate beyond the platform. I feel Netflix and MVP have figured that out together in a very unique way.”
MVP MMA is said to be “actively” working on what the structure would look like as they grow into the space. Though no official deal is done yet with Netflix; it appears likely that one will come together in short order.
MVP MMA is said to be “open” to working with smaller promotions to license out talent from the PFL, KSW, ONE Championship and any others that have talent under contract.
This would help MVP MMA gain access to younger fighters without committing to anything long-term.
Bidarian added that no one at Netflix was upset with Ronda Rousey’s 17-second submission over Gina Carano.
“For many years, people paid a lot of money to see Mike Tyson beat someone in one round,” Bidarian explained.
Many have called for Rousey to return again and fight Holly Holm, who shockingly defeated Rousey in 2015, but she was adamant Saturday was her last fight. Her base purse was $2.2 million, per the California State Athletic Commission, but she walked away with more.
“[Ronda] made a lot of money, much more money than has been reported,” Bidarian said. “I don’t think she is hurting for money, nor do I see her as being money-driven. This was never about money for her. This was about making a statement to the world and rewriting her story. Also about opening the eyes of what’s possible outside of [the UFC.] I take her at her word that she is not looking to come back.”
The UFC was in negotiations with Netflix last year before signing a rights deal with CBS and Paramount+ for $7.7 billion.
The UFC and TKO had issues with ESPN’s technology at different times during their time together, leading to a split.
MVP does have a relationship with ESPN, with their MVP W series promoting women’s boxing.













