New York’s House Republicans are demanding that Gov. Kathy Hochul opt New York in for a federal tax credit scholarship program that’s drawn the ire of the powerful teachers union.

The Democratic governor has so far refused to sign onto the program — which would give taxpayers a tax break as high as $1,700 for donations to scholarship-granting organizations with the goal of aiding the state’s neediest students.

“By opting in to this program, Governor Hochul can ensure that New York families are not locked out of an opportunity to expand educational options,” Rep. Claudia Tenney said in a Feb. 5 letter to Hochul that was co-signed by Reps. Nicole Malliotakis, Nick LaLota, Mike Lawler, Nick Langworthy and Elise Stefanik.

The federal program, pushed by the GOP, takes effect next January, would give breaks on donations for scholarships to students at private and public elementary and secondary schools located within their states. Eligibility for scholarships are limited to students whose family income is below 300% of their area’s median income.

In New York, such donations run into the hundreds of millions of dollars but taxpayers won’t reap the benefits unless the governor opts in.

Tenney told Hochul in the letter that the law created a common incentive for private donations to support scholarships “without taking a single dollar away from public schools.”

The letter pointed out to Hochul that 28 other governors have already opted their states into the program, including Colorado Democratic Gov. Jared Polis, who said, “I would be crazy not to [opt-in].”

“We believe in the right of every student and parent to make choices about what is best for their education,” the letter stated. “A family’s ZIP code or income level should never limit their children’s educational opportunities.

“We hope you will stand with parents and students by opting in to this program expeditiously, and we look forward to hearing your decision.”

Hochul is seeking re-election to a second full, four-year term in November, and her Republican opponent Bruce Blakeman has already slammed her for not signing New York up for the scholarship program.

But Hochul’s office last month said the governor simply still has not yet made a decision on whether to join the program and is awaiting more guidance from the Trump administration.

“While this proposal doesn’t take effect until 2027, it’s surprising that the federal government continues to fail to share any policy details with states,” a Hochul spokesperson said.

“Governor Hochul is supportive of anything that would help students and schools, but given this administration’s record of including poison pills in policies, the state needs to thoroughly review the proposal before making.”

The program doesn’t take effect until the beginning of 2027, so federal money is not being jeopardized, the governor’s rep previously said.

The program is supported by the New York State Catholic Conference and Arne Duncan, who served as US Secretary of Education under former President Barack Obama.

But the powerful teachers union flunked the tax-credit scholarship program.

American Federation of Teachers President Randi Weingarten blasted the tax credit as a “permanent school voucher scheme” in a Dec. 22 letter to the IRS.

“We should be working to strengthen, not abandon, our public schools,” wrote Weingarten, who used to head the AFT New York City teachers’ union local.

Share.